I’ve been thinking more and more about what types of food to pack for my kids for lunch. They do eat school lunch frequently, but on occasion packing a lunch is a fun option. Luckily, I don’t have picky eaters, but if you do, packing a lunch can turn into a bit of a challenge. It can also be difficult to figure out what to pack for lunch day after day. That’s where Hormel Foods comes in!
Hormel Foods has lunch and snack ideas for eaters of all shapes and sizes. Even so, it’s important to sit down as a family to make a plan and set goals prior to the beginning of the school year to establish ground rules for lunchtime meals and snacks. Will there be a certain amount of veggies and fruits in each meal? Will there be one day where your little one gets to choose everything he/she wants? Try to think of these things the night before or well in advance so mornings before school can be stress-free.
Hormel Foods Fan Favorite Lunch Options
- Hormel® Natural Choice® deli meats (available in two new varieties-cherrywood smoked ham & sundried tomato turkey): did you know that the Hormel® Natural Choice® line has zero preservatives and no artificial colors or flavors? These delicious deli meats are perfect for sandwiches and wraps.
- When paired with other healthy options like whole grain breads, and a side of fresh fruit with non-fat yogurt as a dip, a sandwich of Natural® Choice® deli meats can be the foundation of a healthful lunch.
- Hormel® pepperoni stix: these individually wrapped portions are the perfect size to pop in a lunchbox and are packed with protein. Also available in turkey pepperoni!
- Just last month, Hormel Foods introduced a brand new product: Hormel® REV® wraps.
- Hormel® REV® wraps are the perfect after school snack to fuel an active lifestyle with 15 grams of protein or more in each wrap, providing real, sustaining energy. They are available in eight different, delicious varieties!
Tips for Packing a Great Lunch!
Joan Hanson, director of the Hormel Foods Test Kitchen, has compiled a list of a few tips to ensure kids enjoy their lunch (and don’t trade them or throw them away!) To keep your kids healthy, but still happy, combine taste and nutrition:
- Make It Unique: Mix up the classic sandwich by using a whole grain bagel or wheat tortilla as the bread. Pile on preservative-free Hormel® Natural Choice® Deli Ham with kid-friendly condiments.
- Keep It “Cool”: A small frozen water bottle in a colorful insulated lunch bag will keep food cool and give your child needed fluid to get through recess.
- Leave Some Love: Add a note from home or a colorful sticker to add some fun and love to your child’s lunch.
Our Family Favorites
We really enjoy all the fan favorites listed above (trust me, there is a reason they are fan faves). In fact, I only had the chance to make myself one sandwich from the deli meat because my four year older daughter ate the rest of it. She was snacking during a water park trip with dad yesterday (dad and brother each had one piece…she had about eight, lol).
Here is the fabulous sandwich I got to take with me to eat at work….mmmmmmm!
Do you pack a lunch or afternoon snack for your kids? What is your go-to item?
I am currently a member of the Hormel Foods Extended Blogger Program and this post is part of my involvement in the Group. While Hormel Foods provides me material and necessary resources to complete various activities, all statements and sentiment in The Mommy Bunch are my own.