This shop has been compensated by #CollectiveBias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
I love having breakfast foods for dinner. Everyone in my house does too, but sometimes all those breakfast foods can weigh pretty heavily on your stomach, as well as your mind if you are trying to eat healthy.
My kids recently requested breakfast night in our house and I was determined to come up with something that was a bit healthier, yet still tasted great. I decided on a cross between a pancake and a souffle. It is both savory and sweet, with a hint of tang thanks to one special ingredient that adds a nutritional punch to this dish — Lifeway Kefir.
Not only does this apple pancake taste great, it is easy to make and the whole family can participate in the preparation process. My kids just love cracking eggs and using a whisk so this was right up their alley. My son happily whisked the eggs and Lifeway Kefir together. We used the plain flavor, but you can always use a flavored variety for something different.
While my son claimed whisking duty this time, my daughter helped by measuring out the dry ingredients. She is quite independent so doing everything herself is a must. Of course that means we did end up with flour all over the floor on our first attempt at measuring the ingredients when she knocked the bowl off the counter. Not to worry — there was plenty more to slop around. 🙂
Although my son has been participating in a cooking class in summer school, I decided to do the apple slicing myself. Once everything was ready to go, the first step of this recipe is to cook the apples in a bit of butter and brown sugar. You just want to soften them up a bit.
Next you add in your liquid mixture — which I did let my son do since I want him to feel confident in the kitchen.
Top with a sprinkling of brown sugar if desired and pop in the oven to firm up!
The apple pancake puffs up and comes out nice and fluffy.
Let sit in the skillet for a bit to cool and it will start to deflate into this beautifully delicious flat(er) pancake! My kids loved watching it puff up in the oven and then flatten out just slightly before they were ready to eat it.
Top with a dusting of powdered sugar, garnish with raspberries, and serve. This #KefirCreations truly tastes wonderfully good (and feel free to leave off the extra sugar if you want this to be healthier — it is really just for looks).
Apple Pancakes with Kefir
- 1 Tbsp organic butter
- 3 apples, peeled, cored, sliced
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup Kefir smoothie
- 2 Tbsp flour (any kind: white, wheat, gluten-free)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- additional brown sugar for sprinkling on top (optional)
- powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
- raspberries or your favorite fruit for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Combine brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Whisk together eggs and Kefir.
- Mix together flour and baking powder and stir it into the egg/kefir mixture.
- In a skillet, heat butter, add the apple slices and 1 tablespoon of the brown sugar mixture and cook, stirring, until soft. About 5 minutes.
- Pour the batter over the apples and sprinkle the remaining brown sugar on top.
- Bake until it puffs up, about 18-20 minutes.
- Dust with a little powdered sugar and garnish with berries.
Ready to make this delectable breakfast for dinner option for yourself? Find some great coupons on the Lifeway Foods website and get started today!