Looking for an easy yet healthy dinner option that will have dinner on the table lickety split without a ton of dishes to clean up after? I have the perfect thing for you! Try making your dinner in a bag and it will be a delicious and healthier option to regular baked or fried versions. Plus you can just toss the bag when you are done without having to clean up any bake-ware!
Easy Chicken in a Bag
Quick Links to Info on This Page
This recipe was inspired by my desire to find ways for our entire family to be able to enjoy healthier meals. I have grown tired of eating a different meal from my husband every day just because he is on such a limited diet. I figured why can’t we all eat healthy and enjoy it? Not to mention this is super easy to make and relatively inexpensive.
If you are looking to save money on dinners try buying in bulk and/or growing your own food. We got our last stock of chicken breasts in bulk and froze them, the baby carrots are usually pretty inexpensive, and we bought all our recent produce at a discount store (when we don’t have it fresh from the garden).
Assembling your bag of chicken and veggies
To make this dish you simply need to chop up your vegetables and season your chicken. I like to cut the veggies in half versus putting them in whole just to make sure they have a better chance of softening up by the time the chicken is done.
To make the ‘bag’ you take roughly a 12 x 16 piece of parchment paper and add your veggies on first, then add a little oil or butter (optional for flavor as this dish will steam with the natural juices from the veggies) and top with your seasoned chicken. I like to add a little lemon on top for some added flavor.
This meal seriously couldn’t be any easier and my picky husband gave it the seal of approval! I served it with a bed of quinoa (optional) which my kids didn’t quite know what to think of. We’ll keep trying to add quinoa to their diet and I’m sure they’ll be requesting it themselves soon enough. 🙂
I will note that although I’m usually not much of a tomato fan, I went ahead and tried these cherry tomatoes and the flavor burst they create in your mouth is soooo good! I will be using them again for sure!
Even more exciting news! Good Cook is having a Build Your Kitchen Drawer Event and a 5 day Giveaway on the Good Cook Facebook Page.
What is the Build Your Kitchen Drawer Sweepstakes?
You can build your ideal Kitchen Drawer filled with great Good Cook tools and gadgets. Simply visit goodcook.com and choose up to 15 items from selected Good Cook products to create your ideal kitchen drawer then enter to win everything you have selected!
Can decide what you want? Let the Kitchen Experts help – simply choose one of the featured Kitchen Expert Blogger drawers and enter it for a chance to win. Be on the lookout for the “add me” icon like the one below to let you know it’s an item you can add to your drawer.
Win more kitchen items from Good Cook
Participate in the first 5-day product giveaway on Facebook starting June 2 – June 7 and win selected products that you add to your drawer. Also, there will be instant winners! Every drawer entered has a chance to win an instant prize and participants can submit a new drawer every day for a chance to win.
Here are some great items to add to your drawer just to get you started.
For my recipe I used the flip measuring spoon to add 1tsp of oil to the chicken, and the SMART ice cream scoop in order to give everyone an equal amount of quinoa on their plate.
- Smart Ice Cream Scoop: We have had this one for a while and it is my favorite ice cream scoop by far. It is so simple to use and I love that the ice cream slides right off. As I mentioned, we also used it for scooping out the quinoa to get just the right amount!
- Double Sided Flip Measuring Spoon: Can’t find the right sized measuring spoon? This one has 4 different sizes, all in one spoon. I love that I don’t have to have a drawer full of different measuring spoons taking up space. I can simply find the right size in this great measuring spoon. It works great for liquids, although I haven’t tried it out with dried goods yet.
- Safe Cut Can Opener: Opens cans wonderfully, without razor edges left behind. Also works great at opening pull top cans. We always seem to go through can openers like they are candy. This one has worked great so far and I’m optimistic that it will hold up longer than our previous ones have.
- Egg Separator: Over the cup egg separator that’s easy to use. Lets the white fall through and keeps the yolk out. My husband is a fan of this since he likes to eat just egg whites.
- Pot Clip Holder: Clips to the side of the pot to hold your spoon. No need for a spoon rest and no mess on the stove top. Love this one!
During the contest everything on goodcook.com will be 25% off, but if you enter to win you can get instant prizes as well as additional discounts.
So tell us…
What’s your favorite one pot meal? Check out the meals below for some inspiration!
Thank you to Good Cook for providing me with cooking tools, all opinions are my own.