Thank you to Cheerios for providing the yummy Cheerios Protein and for sponsoring this post.
Gone are the days of greasy potato chips and highly processed snack foods at parties (hopefully). Welcome to the new era – where people actually care about the foods that they put into their bodies and their kids’ bodies. At least in my home that’s how we roll lately.
At my daughter’s recent birthday party I wanted to serve snacks that offered a little more nutritional value than what is typically offered at parties like this. In the past we’d set out a few bags of chips, probably some candy as well, and call it a day. This time around the cake was the only thing we didn’t scale back on. 🙂
Now that I’ve become better informed about food choices, I really like to think about what foods I’m offering my kids — even at a party. Just because it is a little better for you doesn’t have to mean boring either. I made these super easy protein filled trail mix cups (actually I had my daughter make them all — it really is simple), and not only do they look cute, they taste great too!
Easy protein packed trail mix
This recipe can be whipped up in a snap. We put it together in a few minutes, and my daughter did all the work. Feel free to substitute any of the ingredients for what you have on hand, but I found it really worked well with craisins, slivered almonds, bananas we had dried in our dehydrator (you can buy them that way if you don’ t have a dehydrator), and Cheerios Protein to give it a little extra punch of protein.
You really just grab your ingredients, add them to a bowl, and mix. My daughter was amazed at how EASY this was!
Boom, pop, stir —
Fill some cute paper cupcake liners and you have a cute snack that is ready to serve.
- Cheerios Protein cereal
- Dried bananas (2-3 handfuls)
- 2-3 small boxes Craisins (or raisins)
- Slivered almonds (1-2 handfuls)
- Fill a small bowl about 2/3 full with the Cheerios Protein cereal. Add in Craisins. Toss in a handful or two of slivered almonds, and 2-3 handfuls of dried bananas.
- Stir until the ingredients are mixed throughout.
- Serve as is or fill paper cupcake liners for individual servings.
- These are great for a quick breakfast on the go or a quick morning snack Too! Since lots of people are hoping to start their day with energy providing protein, the Cheerios Protein trail mix is a great option for a quick start to your day!