Looking for an easy dish that is not only a snap to prepare, but tastes great and is loaded with healthy foods as well? Check out this very simple one-pot dish that is ready in about 30 minutes. It really is easy because all of the ingredients are cooked in one pot, saving you not only cooking time, but clean-up time as well!
One Pot Wonder – Quinoa Chicken Enchilada Bowls
One of the things I love about this dish is how easy it is to make. I start with cooking some chicken and green onions in my dutch oven (you can use a large stock pot or large pan if you don’t have a dutch oven).
Then I add a bit of puffed quinoa to give it a chance to toast up a bit before I add any liquid ingredients. I’m not sure if this step is really necessary, but I like for my quinoa to toast a little.
Then come the liquid ingredients (listed in recipe below). Once you add the liquid ingredients you just cover and let cook until most of the liquid is cooked out. The quinoa will soak up quite a bit of it making those little seeds nice and soft.
To make this recipe simple you can use canned chilis, tomatoes, and corn like I did, as well as a can of La Victoria enchilada sauce. Of course fresh ingredients are great as well if you have them on hand but it may add a bit of prep time to this dish.
Once completed, top with a bit of shredded cheese. I like a lot of cheese so I usually add a lot more than pictured here, but add as little or as much as you like. This dish tastes great topped with a bit of sour cream, chopped tomatoes, and sliced green onions as well!
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow or green onion, chopped
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped into bite size pieces
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup puffed quinoa
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 can diced green chilis
- 1 10 oz. can (or jar) enchilada sauce
- 1 cup frozen or canned corn kernels
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cheese, shredded
- Optional toppings: shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, diced green onions, sour cream
- Add the oil to a large skillet or pot and place over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add the onion, chicken, salt, and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the onion softens and chicken is no longer pink, stirring occasionally.
- Add the quinoa to the pot and stir. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, chilies, enchilada sauce, frozen corn, chili powder, and cumin. Stir, and bring the liquid to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cover the skillet/pot. Cook covered, stirring occasionally. Let it cook until the quinoa has absorbed all of the liquid (about 20 minutes).
- Remove from the heat. Add the black beans and stir to combine. Top with cheese. Cover and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm with optional toppings.
So tell us…
Do you have any one pot meals that are a huge hit with your family?