Halloween is one of my favorite times of the year. I love dressing up, decorating the house, and making tasty recipes for Halloween. This year I’m also throwing a fun spooky celebration!
You would not believe all the fun ways you can decorate, and all the great snack and food ideas you can come up with for an exciting Halloween party…. like this fun Graveyard Snickers Caramel Apple Salad.
Spooky Celebration Party Prep and Recipes for Halloween
Quick Links to Info on This Page
I had so much fun making everything for this party I just couldn’t wait to share all the tasty treats with my friends and family!
Since I knew I was going to be serving a creepy punch for the party, I had to get my creepy crawlies ready. This was so much fun to do and both my kids thought it was hilarious to put worms and bugs in ice cubes!
The skeleton heads actually worked out perfectly to fill with punch and use as ice cubes themselves. Once everything was frozen I was able to add these to the punch bowl to up the creepy factor, plus since they were Hawaiian Punch ice cubes they didn’t water the punch down at all.
I also made a frozen hand to add to the punch. To make the hand simply find a latex or rubber glove and clean it thoroughly with soap and water (to remove any of the powder that is added), then fill with a few drops of food coloring and add water. Tie it shut and hang in your freezer overnight. Use scissors to remove the glove once the ice is frozen. You end up with a ghoulish looking hand that really adds the wow factor to your punch bowl!
Even though I wasn’t serving any alcohol at this party, I still wanted another drink that might be more appealing for adults. Since I’m a huge Shirley Temple fan (the drink), I decided Bloody Shirley’s might be the perfect thing!
These are so simple because it is just a medicine plunger filled with grenadine and a glass of 7UP. Each person can take their own ‘blood’ filled shot and add it to their drink. This was my favorite drink of the party and I probably drank half of these myself just because they were so darn cute!
One of my favorite Halloween desserts to make was this Graveyard Snickers Caramel Apple Salad. I prepared everything ahead of time and let it sit overnight in the refrigerator. Then the day of the party I added the spooky decorations and the caramel topping. It turned out amazing and everyone loved it!
This dessert is so easy to make because you simply need to mix a few ingredients together, chop up some snickers and apples, and chill.
When chopping your snickers I recommend using the miniature size because they are easier to work with, but any size Snickers bar will do.
I also suggest chilling your candy bars in the refrigerator for about an hour before trying to chop them. This way the chocolate doesn’t melt all over, and they are quite easy to chop. I cut the miniature ones in half lengthwise, then in thirds.
- 16 miniature Snickers Candy Bars
- 3-4 Medium apples
- 1 (5.1 oz.) package Vanilla Instant Pudding (dry, do not prepare)
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 (16 oz.) tub cool whip (thawed)
- Caramel ice cream topping
- Whisk vanilla pudding packet, ⅓ cup milk and cool whip together in a large bowl until well combined.
- Chop apples and snickers into bite sized pieces (I prefer to leave the skin on my apples for color, but this is optional).
- Stir chopped apples and Snickers into the pudding mixture.
- Place in a large bowl or serving dish and drizzle with caramel ice cream topping.
- Chill for at least 1 hour before service
- Optional: Add candy decorations
- Recipe adapted from: chef in training
- Next I worked on my Monster Cookie Dough Dip. This is a recipe we have used before and everyone always digs right in! The M&M’s in the ‘cookie dough’ give it just the right chocolaty touch, and there are no eggs so it is safe to eat raw.
- I again prepared everything ahead of time, then added the dog bone graham crackers the day of the party so they wouldn’t get soggy in the refrigerator. This ‘cookie dough’ can get a little hard if refrigerated, so be sure to remove it at least an hour before your party starts to give it time to soften up for easy dipping.
To see how to make this awesome cookie dough dip, check out my previous post with the recipe here: Monster Cookie Dough Dip!
After getting all of these desserts ready to go I was able to focus on some appetizers to make sure my party guests weren’t just filled up on sugar all day. Although I’m sure the kids would have been just fine with it. 🙂
Since eating warm food really makes for a better party the appetizers should be made the day of. Preferably right before the party if you can manage it. For my party I had fun making some Snake Bread-sticks with Blood Sauce, and Zombie Brains!
Snake Bread-sticks with Blood Sauce
To make the snakes, simply roll pre-cut refrigerator bread-stick dough around a wooden skewer. Make sure the skewer is greased so you can remove it after baking. Add miniature pepperoni for the eyes, and tear larger pepperoni pieces to add scales. I also used a bit of pepperoni for a tongue, but you could also use peppers or anything else you have on hand.
Bake the bread-sticks according to package directions. Let cool and then remove the wooden skewers. For the blood sauce simply poor some pizza sauce or marinara sauce into a dish and enjoy!
This simple recipe can be made in a slow cooker and kept warm all day. This makes for a great appetizer to keep your hungry guests satisfied throughout your party!
Simply add the following to a slow cooker:
- Two packages of frozen meatballs (roughly 65-70 meatballs)
- One 16 oz jar of grape or blackberry jelly (I used blackberry)
- One 12 oz jar of chili sauce (this can be found in the ketchup aisle — I looked all over the store before I finally found it so I just wanted to save you a little searching)
Cook on high for two hours stirring every half hour, then turn the temperature to warm to keep your Zombie Brains nice and warm for all your guests to enjoy. (Recipe adapted from Table for Two)
Enjoying our Spooky Celebration
After all this party prep I was happy to be able to sit down, relax, and enjoy some time with my friends and family. I was very happy just to have everyone visiting so we could all catch up and have a little spooky fun!