The past few weeks the weather around here has been dismal. Very low temperatures (below zero when I got in my car this morning), and lots of snow. Obviously spring on the calendar doesn’t line up with Mother Nature’s plans, and that means I am still in the mood for some comfort food.
When I think of comfort food, I think of things like stews, roasts, and more often than not….soup.
Recently, I had a chance to use some sweet potatoes to make an amazing Sweet Potato and Ham Soup. Even if you don’t like sweet potatoes your just might like this one!
- 1 ham bone, with visible meat
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cups water
- 1 handful soup base (or some chopped celery and carrots)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5-6 medium sweet potatoes, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half or milk
- Place the ham bone, onion, water, soup base, and black pepper in a large pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and simmer for 30 minutes or until meat easily comes off the bone with a fork.
- Remove the ham from the pot and shred the meat from the bone. Discard any fat, and return the meat to the pot.
- Add diced potatoes to the pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, in a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat being careful not to brown.
- Add flour, stirring constantly until incorporated well.
- Bring heat to medium/high and gradually stir in the milk until creamy, thick and bubbly. Be sure to stir constantly so as not to scorch. Once it thickly coats the spoon, remove from heat.
- When the potatoes are tender, slowly stir the sauce mixture into the potato pot over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Let simmer until soup reaches the desired consistency. You can add milk to adjust if it seems too thick.
- There has been no seasoning other than pepper added to this point. You may add salt, garlic, herbs, or other seasonings to your taste.
- Soup base is a mixture of dried vegetables ready to toss in as a soup starter. I find mine at a local Amish grocery store. However, I’m sure they can be found in any grocery or whole food store. See picture below.
More Great Soup Recipes
I’m always on the hunt for a great soup recipe. Something that can be my go-to option for a cold winter day (or spring in this case). I found a few recipes from around the blogosphere that look really great, and easy to boot!
Sharon, from Hobbies on a Budget has this great Vegetable Soup recipe (and some freezer tips!):
Erin, from For Him and My Family shared this great Gluten Free/Dairy Free Broccoli Cheese soup:
Erin also shared with us a homemade Cream of Mushroom soup that is also gluten free:
Do you have a great soup that you just have to make every year? Let us know your go-to option in the comments below!
This sweet potato soup recipe originally published by me at MomItForward.com on 01/18/2013. Pictures and the recipe are my own.