I love a good creamy soup. Especially one that uses the flavors of the season and is nice and hearty to warm me up on a cool fall day. This Delicious Turkey and Potato Soup Recipe does just that!
Turkey and Potato Soup Recipe
This recipe actually has some pretty simple ingredients. Potatoes, chicken broth, diced turkey, diced onions, diced celery, frozen peas, butter, flour or tapioca starch, and milk. Simple, right?
The first thing you need to do is dice up your veggies.
While your veggies are getting a nice sauna treatment, chop up your potatoes if you haven’t already. You can also cut your turkey tenderloins into bite-sized chunks at this time.
After the onions and celery have cooked until they are translucent, add your turkey to the stockpot and cook thoroughly.
Once the turkey has completely cooked, add in your chicken broth, as well as any additional spices. Add the potatoes at this time as well. Cook until the potatoes are fork tender.
Next, you can add in the frozen peas, and continue cooking while preparing your thickener (roux).
To prepare the roux, add 5 Tbsp of butter to a saucepan with 5 Tbsp of flour or tapioca starch. Whisk until thick and then slowly stir in your milk. You’ll pour your milk mixture into the stockpot and cook for a few more minutes. The result is a very delicious and flavorful soup that is great for using up turkey leftovers, or just because you love turkey!
PRO TIP ==> If you decide to use a slow cooker, before you get started grab some Slow Cooker Liners for easy clean-up. BPA free, and FDA certified, these are a great tool to keep stocked!
- 3 1/2 cups diced potatoes
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 frozen peas
- 1 package turkey breast tenderloins, diced
- 1 box chicken broth (approx 32 oz)
- 1 chicken stock cubes added to 1 cup of water
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper, or to taste
- 5 Tbsp butter + 1 Tbsp for vegetables
- 5 Tbsp tapioca starch
- 2 cups milk
- Bacon Bits and Cheese for garnish
- Combine the celery, onion and 1 Tbsp of butter in a stock pot and sweat over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.
- While the vegetables are sweating, dice the potatoes.
- Add diced turkey breast tenderloins to the vegetables and cook through.
- Add potatoes and chicken broth to stock pot and bring to a boil.
- Cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken stock cube, salt, and pepper.
- Keep warm over low heat.
- In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Whisk in tapioca starch with a fork or whisk and cook, stirring constantly until thick - about 1 minute.
- Slowly stir in milk as to not allow lumps to form.
- Continue stirring until thick, 5-8 minutes.
- Stir the milk mixture into the stock pot.
- You can substitute regular flour for the tapioca starch on a 1:1 ratio.
This whole Turkey and Potato Soup recipe takes about 45 minutes from start to finish, so it really is a quick cooking soup that you can have ready any night of the week. And the best part is that it is so good you are sure to have everyone asking for seconds!
What is your favorite fall soup recipe?
Need a new slow cooker or blender for your turkey and potato soup recipe? Check out these options below with good reviews!
Thanks to Jennie-O for providing me with some great turkey for this recipe. Recipe and opinions are my own.