Energy efficiency involves using less energy to perform the same tasks, decreasing energy waste in your house, and saving money. To effectively boost your energy efficiency, you must first become aware of how energy is utilized, where it is lost, and how it can be used more effectively and efficiently in everyday life. If you are eager to make little changes but are unsure what to do to save energy at home, here are ideas to get you started.
Lower Your Thermostat
When you’re not at home, make it a practice to reduce the temperature on your thermostat. Reduce your monthly utility bill and consume less energy by lowering the temperature by three to five degrees. Lowering your thermostat by 10 to 15 degrees throughout the workday, according to Energy.gov, will save you 5-15% every year. Instead of turning up the heat, consider putting on something to keep you warm or wrap yourself in blankets.
You can also consider a smart thermostat, as the technology will help you manage your energy usage. Make sure to read reviews of the products before purchasing, as 95% of people do this and end up happier with their decision.
Replace Incandescent Bulbs
Many companies stopped the production of 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent light bulbs about seven years ago. The 100-watt and 75-watt bulbs were already a thing of the past by then. Today, you have an energy-efficient bulb option, from compact fluorescent lamps to LED bulbs. These bulbs can last a lifetime and save more energy than incandescent bulbs.
Going for energy-efficient bulbs is a smart choice. LED light bulbs consume roughly one-sixth of the energy used by traditional lights, cost about a quarter as much to operate, and last about 40 times longer. Don’t forget to turn off the lights if you’re going to be gone for an extended period of time. Use timers or motion sensors to cut down on the time your lights are turned on.
Disconnect Any Chargers That Are No Longer In Use
Things that waste energy are cell phones and battery chargers that are plugged in but not being used. A normal charger consumes 0.26 watts of energy when not in use and 2.24 watts when connected to your phone. A single charger won’t make a huge difference on its own, but several can account for up to 10% of your total energy expenditure. As a result, when not in use, disconnect your chargers. Consider turning off your computer monitor while not in use for an extended period of time. The monitor consumes more than half of the system’s energy, so there’s no reason to leave it on all night if it’s not being utilized.
Limit Hot Showers Or Baths
When possible, avoid using hot water in your washer and instead use cold or warm water. According to Treehugger.com, 90% of the energy required by your washer is utilized to heat the water, with the remaining 10% being used to power the machine. As a result, using cooler water for each load has the potential to save a large amount of energy.
Seal Windows and Cracks
Seal the air leaks in your home. Sealing cracks, gaps, and leaks, as well as installing insulation, can reduce home heating and cooling costs by up to 10%. According to www.energystar.gov, replacing ordinary windows with energy-efficient windows and doors that meet the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency/U.S. Department of Energy’s Energy Star program reduces energy expenses by 7-15%. Energy-efficient windows, also known as energy-saving windows, are intended to keep your home’s warm or cooled air from escaping.
Annual utility expenditures can be lowered in half by making your home energy efficient. Monitor your thermostat and reduce costs, save energy when using appliances, and changing your bulbs may help you save money on your utility bills. Use these tips every day for saving energy and money.