Did you know that every time Disney re-releases a classic, they put awesome new extras on each time? The Diamond Edition release of Sleeping Beauty is no exception! Available October 7th, the new release of this great classic has a ton of extra bonus features that are worth the watch!
Special Features included:
- Once Upon a Parade: Join Sarah Hyland from ABC’s Modern Family as she tells the magical tale behind Walt Disney World’s Festival of Fantasy Parade
- The Art of Evil: Generations of Disney Villians: Explore the legacy of the animator who created maleficent and cruella
- @DisneyAnimation: ARTISTS IN MOTION: Explore the creative process with a Walt Disney Animation Visual Development artist as she creates a three dimensional sculpture of Maleficent, completely out of paper.
- The Fair: Deleted Scene
- The Curse is Fulfilled: Deleted Scene
- The Arrival of Maleficent: Alternate Scene
- Beauty-Oke “Once Upon a Dream”: Sing along to Aurora’s Signature song
- The Sound Of Beauty: Restoring A Classic: This featurette covers the creation of the 7.1 mix of the score of Sleeping Beauty using the source tapes from the original recording sessions
- “Picture Perfect: The Making Of Sleeping Beauty”: Discover the behind-the-scenes magic that transformed a beloved fairy tale into a cinematic work of art. Legendary animators, actors and film historians reveal the secrets behind Disney’s masterpiece.
- Eyvind Earle: A Man And His Art: Early in his career, renowned American Artist Eyvind Earle worked as a background painter at the Walt Disney Studio. Walt Disney liked his work so much that he entrusted him with the assignment to be the Art Director for Sleeping Beauty. This was the first time that one artist was given the responsibility for the entire look on one of Disney’s animated features. This piece follows Earle’s development as an artist and his years at the Studio.
- Audio Commentary – Commentary by John Lasseter, Andreas Deja and Leonard Maltin
Bonus Content – The Backstory
David Jessen, a 16 year Disney veteran, serves as vice president of Content Enhancement Production for The Walt Disney Studios Distribution. He and his team develop and produce enhanced content for inclusion on and in support of Walt Disney, Touchstone, DreamWorks, Marvel, ABC Studios and Disney Channel releases. This includes creating cutting edge content on the Disney Diamond Collection releases, including Sleeping Beauty.
Sleeping Beauty was Walt Disney’s 16th classic, and for the Diamond Edition they reinvented all the sing-alongs. There is also a new parade at Disney World, Fantasy Parade, and the team at Disney thought it would be great to have David do a piece for it. The concept of “Once Upon a Parade” grew out of that idea and Sarah Hyland was the chosen host. She was a great decision because she is such a huge Disney fan, by her own admission.
Sarah Hyland: “I’m a Disney Freak, and a fan of Walt Disney himself. He made Disneyland and the whole Disney corporation because he wanted adults to remain children. He wanted people to enjoy a place with their children and feel young at heart.”
Check out the trailer for the parade feature, it is pretty cute!
Visit Sleeping Beauty online for even more fun content!
Bonus – Sleeping Beauty Slumber Party Kit!
Disclosure: I received an all expenses paid trip to Los Angeles for the coverage of several press events for Disney. All opinions are 100% my own. Photo credits: Disney