If you are looking for a super simple dinner to give your kids after school, or any time for that matter, why not whip up some homemade mac & cheese?! It is easier than you think, plus you know what ingredients are in it since you made everything yourself, and it is waaaay better tasting than that boxed stuff.
We just had this the other night and my kids loved eating it with the addition of cubed ham, but you are welcome to add anything else you like (broccoli is always a hit in our house too!).
- 3/4 pound elbows, mini shells, or your favorite macaroni shape
- 3/4 cup organic heavy cream (we use Organic Valley)
- 8-10 slices organic American cheese slices (we use Organic Valley)
- **Optional ingredients**
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup grated parmigiano reggiano
- 1/2 cup cubed ham (we use the Hormel Cure 81)
- 1/2 cup broccoli or peas
- Cook pasta to al dente. Drain. Set aside.
- Heat cream in the same pasta pot over medium low heat.
- Add cheese to the cream and stir until melted.
- Add salt and pepper to taste if desired.
- Taste for desired cheesy flavor; if not cheesy enough add more slices, if too thick and a splash of cream.
- Return cooked pasta to pot and mix well. Add optional ingredients if desired.
- Scoop into bowls and serve with the parmigiano reggiano sprinkled on top if desired (my kids preferred I skip this step).
So tell us…
Do your kids love mac & cheese? Have you ever made it from scratch?
Thank you to Hormel for providing us the great cubed ham for inspiration. Recipe adapted from Food52.com